Tuesday 6 November 2007

Natural-Ites And The Realistics "Picture On The Wall" (CSA Records, 1983)

Posted by Picasa

Here's the first of what I hope will be a string of Reggae tracks on Down With Tractors- the only reason I've not posted more is that It's tricky to check just what has come out on CD, and as you know, this blog likes to try and focus on stuff that's otherwise unavailable. I'm pretty sure that this has never been re-issued, which is incredible...it's one of the most strident, yet sweetly melodic Roots anthems that I can think of. Back in 1983, I came across this record in the same way that a lot of others did: via the huge airplay that it got on the evening shows on Radio 1, particularly of course, via John Peel (they were even called upon to record a session for Peel after the release of the single). The single also made it into Peel's Festive Fifty in 1983, reaching the dizzying heights of nuber 10, which shows just how popular it was. (For all your Festive Fifty needs, I'd implore you all to check out Steve's excellent blog) If I can use a dirty word here, it was an undoubted crossover success, even threatening to be a proper hit single. There's an exhaustive history of the band here, which I'd encourage you to check out.

The song itself needs no real explanation: there's a lilting horn section providing the counter-melodies, and there' just enough of a blues inflection in Ossie Gad's voice to give the song that feeling of joy and spiritual power. This version is the edited 7" version, I know i've got the 12" somwhere, i'll try and find it(off to dig in those crates again!!)....but for now,Enjoy.

Natural-Ites And The Realistics "Picture On The Wall" (mp3)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm not really a massive reggae fan... but I was introduced to this track a few years back now and totally loved it. If you do find the 12" I'd love to hear it. Thanks!

So It Goes said...

Yes, Iain, I posted this one back in July, as part of the 'More Reggae In The Blogosphere' jag that lasted a wee while (see http://festivefifty.blogspot.com/search/label/natural-ites).
Spiffing tune indeed. Since I have discovered the full contents of Peel's 1977 FF, I realise there is more reggae left to post...maybe we could link posts.

Rob said...

that, Mr Iain, is a choon...

Unknown said...

This a great track, the Bass player Lenroy Guiste is about to drop a new solo album. www.lenroyguiste.co.uk some great tracks on here and some more history on the natural ites

Costa Rica Cheap Land for Sale said...

Hello I want to congratulate to them by its site of the Web of the excellent looks like entertained and very good very to me it elaborated. I invite them to that they explore a little on my Web site.

pharmacy said...

Excellent, thanks a lot, I like them but that's to bad that they have just a few songs.